Bangladesh court says tribunal investigating the 2011 genocide in Bangladesh
Bangladesh’s top court has given the green light to a tribunal investigating allegations of genocide and other crimes against humanity in the country’s ethnic conflict.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the convictions of 11 people, including six foreigners, who were convicted on war crimes charges in 2015.
The ruling was hailed by rights groups, but also by the government and the government’s critics.
The court had earlier given the government until Feb. 11 to submit its final appeal.
It has already said it will consider the verdicts in June.
The genocide case was filed by the Bangladeshi Human Rights Commission in 2016 and in January 2017 by the Bangladesh Nationalist Party, an Islamist group that has a strong presence in the north-east of the country.
It alleges that soldiers killed at least 3 million people in the 1971 Bangladesh conflict, which has left more than 40 million people homeless.
The International Criminal Court has opened an investigation into the war crimes.
It said in a statement that it had sought and received the court’s order in the case.
The commission said it would now investigate the crimes committed during the conflict and the atrocities committed against civilians.